Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Movie Review - Mulberry Street (2006)

Alright, I have a good one for you. I should add that I was pleasantly surprised. May I present “Mulberry Street” (2006). This movie is categorized as a horror thriller. I should also mention that the movie is an independent and had a budget of $60,000.

The movie opens showing various tenants living their lives in a small apartment building. You meet Clutch; a father who lives with a gay man awaiting the return of his daughter from the military; a single mother with her son and two older gentlemen sharing a flat. They all know each other. Then intermixed are scenes of the sewer; rats eating each other behaving oddly. The start I will admit is slow and you wonder where this is all going. The news is reporting strange incidents of rat bites with swarming. This has led to an outbreak of some sort of infection. An epidemic of huge proportions have transformed the residents of Manhattan into some sort of zombie rat like creatures and so the story focuses on the survival of the six tenants.

You may think, ‘so what’. I know the film is not really that original but this movie is more about getting there than anything else. What I mean is there is a storyline behind the tenants which resulted in excellent characterization. This showed through as the acting was decent -not award wining but above average. The camera work was just amazing. The pans, the pull ups, some good special effects were used but nothing over the top. The only thing I didn’t like is that the film seemed like it was sped up to show the craziness of the rat turned people.

No matter what, this movie is better than independent and better than being a direct-to-DVD. I do recommend watching it and rate it 7/10. I was impressed for what it was and I hope my review conveys that.

No comments:

Post a Comment