Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Movie Review - Pandorum (2009)


So, I was looking through my collection of movies to watch, torn between a horror remake and what looks like a science fiction flick. I won’t lie; I’m more swayed with science fiction and in went the movie “Pandorum” (2009).


Although this flick is considered sci-fi or at least labeled, it could also be listed as horror-psychological thriller. I was pleasantly surprised what I saw.

The movie takes place in the future aboard a space transport ship. Apparently there are a few thousand on the way to colonize a distant planet. The story opens with two surviving members waking from their sleep pod only to find no power and no crew. They soon discover that they are not alone and to make matters worse, the power generator is dying.


In trying save the ship they encounter cannibalistic humanoid creatures roaming the ship. If this doesn’t sound bad, add ‘pandorum’ a condition known to make people go insane from deep space travel. I won’t give away the ending but let’s just say it ends happy.

The main character is Lieutenant Payton played by Dennis Quaid. I’m not a fan of his work but he did rather well compared to previous films. The other main character was Corporal Bower played by Ben Foster. He was in films like '3:10 to Yuma' or '30 days of Night'. I can’t remember what his performance was like but he held his own in this one.


The set and scenes were fantastic, a lot of detail. You knew you were on a ship and it was in the future, no question. The make up effects were decent, creatures were decent looking. Lighting and background music helped with the mood. I was moved.


To me it was like “Aliens” (1986) meets “Madmax” (1979) and may have borrowed the psychosis themes from “Event Horizon” (1997). This translates into a good mix. I can’t say it was a rip off but it was still fresh to see a mash of past ideas creating a decent storyline. I rate this movie 7.5/10 but I do think that a little more could have been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment