Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Movie Review - The Wolfman (2010)

Thought I needed a good scare and with all that full moon shining so bright lately, I decided to pop in “The Wolfman” (2010) to watch. Yes, I will agree that that this is yet another werewolf themed movie but I have to add, it enlists the acting excellence of Sir Anthony Hopkins alongside Benecio del Toro.

The movie is predictable, apart from the obvious -a werewolf running amok in a small English village; there is a bit of a twist. Okay, so the movie begins with Lawrence Talbot (de Toro) coming back home to investigate his brother’s disappearance. While out asking questions, he is faced with a werewolf and ends up being bit. In addition, there is a love interest Gwen Conliffe (Emily Blunt) who is his brother’s fiancée that also complicates things. Long story short, he ends up becoming a werewolf and finding out about his dark family secrets from his estranged father Sir John Talbot (Hopkins).

The story originates from a 1941 silent film of the same name but apparently the story has been greatly expanded. I haven't seen this film nor will I try to compare it to past interpretations of werewolf fantasy stories. I suppose you can say werewolf fiction is a timeless classical theme and can be made to fit any era or genre.

This movie was filmed dark; you just get that overall impression that in that point of time, life was not very happy. The music and the filming helped solidify the moods presented in each scene. To be more specific it reminded me of something that Tim Burton may produce. I found the movie to not be scary, sure the scenes of a werewolf tearing its claws was decent but by no means scary. There was some decent action overall and very good effects, especially with the change from man to wolf. to look for.

I do recommend seeing this movie. It was above average but nothing special. I’m a fan of horror and with classical themes of werewolves and vampires you can’t go wrong. I give this flick a rating of 7/10 but note it did have potential to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment