Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Movie Review - Solomon Kane (2009)


I'm proud to present the following movie; "Solomon Kane" (2009). At first I thought it was a low budget 'no name' type movie because I had never heard of it before or recall it coming out to the theatre. This movie is classified as adventure and fantasy, I wasn’t going to review it but I felt the need to let you all know what I thought.

The main character is Solomon Kane played by James Purefoy and he did a fantastic job. I felt James had captured the moods and scene changes that the character went through.

The story occurs at a time of darkness; there is evil everywhere that has taken over the lands. Solomon Kane has had quite the past which resulted in his soul being damned for hell but after redeeming himself his goal is to rid evil. He arrives on the scene dressed as a puritan daunting the hat and a cloak, armed with deadly weapons of that era. He is highly skilled at killing and knows how to handle swords and a gun. I suppose almost like a puritan superhero. In short, it was it reminded me of ‘Van Helsing’ but only out to destroy evil do'ers enchanted by Satan

I was intrigued by this character and so I wondered if it was based on a book. As it turns out, the character has roots in literature found in the late 16th-17th century and later in comics.

The movie was decently put together, lots of action, good carnage and a good solid story. It came in at around 100 minutes but you didn’t feel it. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie and consider it a diamond in the rough. I look forward to a sequel and for that reason I would rate this film 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment