Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Movie Review - Futureworld (1976)


Going SCIFI on you now and have a little ‘jem’ called "Futureworld" (1976). It is actually a sequel of "Westworld" (1973). The movie does draw on the success of the original film (directed by Michael Crichton) and develops a story from it. In fact this franchise even spawned a series (1980).

Delos Entertainment has re opened their theme park. You may play out a character in a fantasy world (medieval, roman or even the old west); filled with robotic AI characters controlled to make their guest’s stay enjoyable and believable. It is now safer than ever and their systems are now under control. In an attempt to show the world of their efforts, they invite numerous government officials and people of great importance that they think will give good reviews and attract further business. On the guest list is two reporters; Chuck Browning (played by Peter Fonda) and Tracy Ballard (played by Blythe Danner). Things are still not what they seem and it's up to the two reporters to uncover and expose the truth. I won’t give too much of the story as I don’t want to spoil it for you all.

The acting was alright; nothing special. Some pretty decent special effects for the time but with simple set designs. I thought for a sequel it did stand on its own. It would likely make a bit more sense if you watch the original just as a back story. It definitely was interesting enough to keep my attention. I kept thinking to my self “Now what is Delos up to now”?

Actor Yul Brynner who plays a gunslinger was the star of the original “Westworld” but for some reason they seem to use him in some filler scenes. It was laughable and I think it was purely to draw viewers to the fact that he would be in the sequel. So, besides that, I can’t really say I didn’t like it. A good solid movie worthy of viewing, I rate it 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment