Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Movie Review - Pulse 2: Afterlife (2008)

I’m on a bit of a ‘B’ rated kick right now, searching for films worthy of a positive review –if any. Hidden gems and the under rated films waiting to be rediscovered. I got a real 'winner' here; “Pulse 2: Afterlife” (2008). Keep in mind that this movie is a sequel which apparently went straight to DVD and there is good reason for that. The original “Pulse” came out in 2006, which I don’t recall watching? Now, it may have made some sense to watch the original to really 'get it' however, I think it should stand on its own.

The story opens right into some eerie action, a man dressing up in a red suit, a TV type image of woman accosting a person in the alley. The scene then switches to a woman in her dilapidated apartment, realizing that her daughter is gone and so the adventure begins with that. There is an apparent plague which shows as a blackish vein mould on the body which some how was spread through the internet. As the condition worsens, your body turns to dust and you are digitized between spirit worlds. Somewhat interesting, freaky enough to be a horror but by no means scary. Yes, I thought I had seen this story before as this film kind of reminded me of “Silent Hill” (2006) and “Feardotcom” (2002) and perhaps “The Ring” (2002). I won’t give away anymore of the story, if your interested you can see it for yourself.

The acting was alright, nothing fantastic to mention any stand out actors. The camera work was okay, special effects okay. I felt that there could have been more done with the story. I’m intrigued about what the original was like and surprisingly there is a 3rd sequel available to watch, if I dare. This movie is all around o-k-a-y, so I rate it 4/10 and note it’s definitely a ‘B’ movie but I say ‘B+’ with + for effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment