Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Book Review - Terminator and Philosophy


Thought I would do something different than post a movie review. How about a book report... I recently just finished reading “Terminator and Philosophy: I’ll Be Back, Therefore I am” by William Irwin, Richard Brown and Kevin Decker. Yes, this book is both entertaining and educational. Ever wonder what John Connor, Sarah Connor or the T-101 was thinking? This book explores the deeper meanings behind their reason for existence and how they relate with the events of judgment day and the machines.

Let me just say that this book was fantastic, a bit deep and hard to swallow at times. Basically, the book contains a compilation of essays written by various scholars to explore and debate philosophical ideas and apply them to the Terminator franchise (Terminator, T2 Judgment Day, T3 Rise of the Machines and The Sarah Connor Chronicles). There are several quotes, and citations from the franchise to help solidify their arguments. I did find at times that it was a bit of an overkill dwelling on certain topics to the point of annoyance (almost like beating a dead horse).

The themes presented were completely profound. In some cases I felt I needed a University degree to comprehend the ideas within. This book has it all; everything from theories to speculation. The truth is no one really knows and it is unlikely that James Cameron put that much thought into his movie. It is what it is; an action packed flick with fighting robots.

I have always been interested in philosophy but the topic is so boringly dry... however, when put into the context of the Terminator franchise it has life and new meaning. I did lean a thing and enjoyed reading it. Being that I'm a big fan of the franchise and the Terminator universe, that I just had to read it.

I highly recommend reading this book; even if you’re not into philosophy but as a fan. Who knows, you may just pick up a thing or two about one of the best movie franchises in history.
THE TERMINATOR, HE'LL BE BACK

No comments:

Post a Comment