Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Movie Review - Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

For the last few years I’ve been awaiting the return of Resident Evil; with three movies and multiple games under the franchise belt and now the latest installment "Resident Evil: Afterlife" (2010). I will say, it's definitely true that sequels kill a movie franchise. I for one am a fan but there is limitations to my fandom. In all honesty, the franchise seems to have gone hill with every sequel.

This was the last and final straw for me though.

Where do I begin? The story line is terrible and unfolds with Alice looking for survivors in a world overrun by the deadly ‘T-virus’ and zombies. Her mission is to guide the survivors to a safe haven known as ‘Arcadia’ located in Alaska but the mission gets thwarted by the Umbrella Corporation, namely Wesker. By the half way mark I was bored. The zombie action was a snooze. I'm used to a certain caliber and this isn't it. I know the movies are made for the fans but come on.

Alice is still played by Millia Jovovich, not much changes with her same old. There are some new faces and some old faces carried over from the previous movie (Extinction 2007). No one really stands out as having superb acting. The Wesker character played by Shawn Roberts was a rip off of Agent Smith from ‘The Matrix’. I did like him but that’s because I love the Matrix. I can’t blame the actors as the issue is really with the script.

This movie may have been more exciting had I seen it in 3D. This I will agree with but you shouldn't have to be blinded by cheap effects to like a movie. In my opinion, this is the worst film of the year subsequently making Resident Evil one of the worst franchises in cinematography. It hurts me to give a low rating; 5/10 -don't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment