Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Movie Review - The Mad (2007)


So I’m thinking I should cut down on eating red meat, it’s starting to worry me… or I could just stop watching movies that involve tainted meat and zombies. I am referring to the latest movie I watched: “The Mad” (2007). Yes, another movie about mad cow deceased zombies. I didn’t think that this theme would pop up again.

Ha, I sure can pick em'.

The film opens with a father, daughter and their significant others on a weekend trip. They end up stopping in small town for the night on the way to the cottage. Wouldn’t you know- all hell breaks loose after locals ate hamburgers at a restaurant and run amok in a rabid frenzy leaving the father-daughter team to save the day.

Well, now that we've established the premise, I should mention that the film is categorized as a comedy. Sure it was a good mix of laughs and gore but it was mostly cheap thrills with obvious prompted ques. I found myself shaking my head most of the time. In short, they were trying too hard. Something should be said about horror “zombie” comedies, if not done correctly it can bomb. This is a prime example but perhaps the intention was to create a ‘B’ rated movie.

I wasn’t too impressed with the editing and cut scenes. The characters were decent and the acting was well done. I do like that calm cool Billy Zane character. It definitely could have been better. I rate this flick 5/10 but an “A” for effort.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I had no idea this movie was labeled a comedy before I read your review once more. I thought this was supposed to be a serious zombie movie. Makes a little more sense now LOL.

    Now seeing the movie in its intended light I will agree with you they tried too hard. It just didn’t come across as being funny. Billy Zane owns the screen among a bunch of no named actors and I was impressed with how he took a brutal character as far as he could. Interesting choice in his script selection. He used to be an A list actor but it appears he has fallen from grace.

    As for the gore and zombies I would rated it as average. It is what you would expect from any Hollywood produced zombie movie. Standard blood, standard decapitation, standard wounds, etc, etc. The zombies were pretty aggressive and intelligent in this one. They seemed to have a fetish with clothing, using various types of forks whether it is a table fork or pitchfork to kill unsuspecting victims. One even uses a gun. Seriously?

    Anyway it was a nice change in pace in terms of the zombies films I’ve been watching. The production budget was obliviously enough for quality of the camera work to be easy on the eyes. I agree with the rating and would say it’s a movie to watch when you’re bored just to say you watched it.

    ReplyDelete