Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Movie Review - Rise of the Dead (2007)


Yet another review. You know the phrase 'never judge a book by it's cover', yeah,... well I think I forgot that when I went to watch "Rise of the Dead" (2007). This movie has very little with the rising of the dead. In fact, this movie was confused or perhaps it was me.

It couldn't decide if it was a supernatural thriller horror or a zombie flick. The acting is sub standard, the story is a little awkward and pieced together. Almost as though there was no script present. This movie lacks direction. Somehow it reminds me of a daytime soap. In all fairness this is not a mainstream production but rather an independent film.

The basic premise of the movie surrounds a teenage girl -- she had a baby a year or so ago and gave it away for adoption. The baby dies and it's spirit-ghost comes back and takes control of different people. In an effort to see it's mother it leaves a trail of victims behind. You really don't know what is going on until close to the end and then it's tied up very quickly which leaves the viewer feeling emptier than before.

I will say this though, the end left me thinking that there should be a sequel. NO ! PLEASE NO !
It's unique for what it is - I'll give it that. The scenes where the spirit takes over the bodies reminded me of how Agent Smith from The Matrix movies does this.

In the end, I would not recommend seeing this and in fact wished I didn't waste the 78 minutes or the downloading time which I won't get back. I had very little enjoyment except for some gratuitous nudity with a shower scene. I give this film 3/10 but note that it had potential to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment